Please note: We do not currently offer cosplay pre-registration.
Please register at the Cosplay Desk. Details will be posted to our Facebook page.
There are several ways to participate in cosplay (“costume play”) while attending TAG Fest. You can simply wear a costume around the convention, meet fan girls and boys, and get your picture taken. Please observe all costume rules posted in the Rules.
You can also join the Cosplay Contest where you will get to strut your stuff on stage for the entertainment of an adoring audience. You may even win an award from the panel of judges!
TAG Fest offers two contests: one for costume craftsmanship and one for skit performances. Costumes will be pre-judged prior to the Cosplay Contest, and skits must be reviewed for content.
CRAFTSMANSHIP CONTEST RULES
- Only costumes constructed by the wearer are allowed to enter the contest, or the artist needs to be present. No commissioned or purchased costumes will be considered for this contest, but are welcome to be worn in the Performance Contest.
- Major awards will be given to costumes originating from anime, manga, video games, Japanese culture, and Western pop culture. Please contact the cosplay director with questions.
- Costumes and skits that have previously won major awards (Best in Class, etc.) at other conventions are not permitted to enter the contest for judging.
- Nudity, intentional or unintentional, is not permitted and may get you removed from the con. Make sure your costume is secure.
- Show up on time for pre-judging. You'll be asked a few questions about your costumes, but don't sweat it, it’s nothing too intense. You will not be eligible for an award if you don't go through pre-judging. Please bring a printed, full color reference picture of the character you are cosplaying. Multiple angles are very good - remember, not every judge knows every character!
- Please contact the cosplay director at email@example.com if you have any questions.
PERFORMANCE CONTEST RULES
- THREE MINUTE time limit per skit, unless pre-approved by cosplay staff.
- All skits must be reviewed prior to the Cosplay Contest. Scripts can be submitted electronically before the convention - tentative approval can be given, but all skits will need final approval at con. Skits cannot be changed after the review or they may be subject to disqualification.
- If you want to use music, pre-recorded dialogue, or sound effects, please notify us before the convention and provide us with the recording. All recordings needs to be in MP3 format. Once your sound file is played, we will let it run from the beginning until the end, so please edit accordingly.
- Skits should be around PG-13 rated or under. Avoid the Seven Dirty Words, and keep overtly sexual references and nudity out of it.
- Choreographed combat and stunts may be permitted upon review. Please contact staff to let them know you are considering this as a possibility for your skit.
- You are in charge of your own props. If you take them on the stage, you must remove them when your skit ends. Throwing items off the stage will not be permitted.
- Absolutely no pyrotechnics, fire, lasers, strobes, flash powder, or open flame of any kind.
Please contact the cosplay director at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Cosplay staff members will be happy to assist you in filling out your form. See you at con!